Sunday, September 26, 2021

Terrain Musings

For the terrain that I intend to make, I want to take inspiration from aspects of the British landscape. In particular, what I have in mind is areas like the Brecon Beacons and similar remote and rugged landscapes, as well as old historic sites and ruins. These were a major fixture of my childhood holidays and I guess they've left an indelible mark on my imagination.

To that end, here is a sample of pictures I snapped on some recent excursions highlighting hedgerows, forests and the like. Both are a fixture of wargames terrain that I want to nail down with a realistic look. Pan scourer hedges and model railway trees have a certain charm, but I'm not painting my bases goblin green 😁


I imagine this was once a dry stone wall that has been left to collapse and later replaced with wire fencing, which has also seen better days. The stunted, shrub like trees also add to that wild and dilapidated feel. A 1" mound studded with stones and surmounted by a rickety fence and wiry trees would make some fine boundaries and chest high cover for miniatures.


A weathered and spindly hedge. You wonder how long these same features have existed in the landscape. Since enclosure acts at least perhaps? This looks like it would be fun to make out of twists of wire.


A wind blasted and decrepit shrub/tree, with bare ground beneath were animals take shelter. Such terraces and hillocks could also provide cover for miniatures. 


A tree perched by a boundary ditch; not sure if it was pollarded in the past or the off-shoot trunks are just a feature of that species. Trees aren't necessarily just a single straight trunk, something to bear in mind if you want a tad more variety.


A soft and springy layer of moss and lichen from a conifer plantation. Not even a century old and the area is covered in abundant growth. Building up the bases with small pants and flock can really create a vibrant look. 


A gentle, rocky stream. Usually, water terrain pieces are built with crossings in mind, to form chokepoints. With a shallow stream like this however, you could cross wherever. Double your movement to cross carefully or move normally but risk slipping (unless you're fleet-footed of course).


Ancient oaks from Croft Castle. Their chaotic trunks and many textures look like a fun modelling project. Perhaps a shrine has grown up around them or a beastie has made it their home. Historically, such features have also been important local meeting places.

I'm not sure if I have a certain type of landscape in mind; moorland perhaps, or if I'm really combining several different biomes. This only covers the natural features of course. I will cover my thoughts on ruined structures at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment